Saturday, March 2, 2013

                                                   COMMUNION IN THE HAND
I am old enough to remember going up to the alter rail, having the alter boy place the patten under my chin and the priest placing the host on my tongue with his consecrated hand.  It was miracle and mystery, I was part of something sacred and holy.

The first time I received in the hand was with a small group of men at a promoters meeting for the Passionist retreat house I was involved with.  Father Mike told us of the new order, allowing the laity to receive in the hand and that we were going to do it at this Mass.  When the host was placed in my hands they shook, my body trembled, I was holding the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ.

Now, so many years later, I am an Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist in my parish and blessed with being able to be a daily communicant.  However, I have to struggle to not let it become ordinary.  I cannot recapture those feeling I had when I first received in my hands.  As I distribute the Sacred Species to our congregation I am saddened by the attitude of so many.  Receiving this precious gift is what one does at the end of Mass, some walk out the door without so much as a prayer of thanks.  They would not be able to do that if they believed their God had just made His abode with them.  I believe Communion in the hand was a mistake.  It has led to disbelief in the real presence
John Moreno   Catholic Lay Preachers   www.thelaypreacher.com

     .

No comments:

Post a Comment