Friday, June 1, 2012

The New Evangelization Inside the family

A few years ago I was listening to some program or reading a book about evangelizing within the Church and I discovered that it had never occurred to me to tell my kids why I'm Catholic!  Recently, at our usual coffee clutch, I brought this up to the other moms and found that they also didn't realize this and had not shared with their own children their story. 

As parents, it is our responsibility to pass on the faith to our children.  We can send them to Catholic schools, make sure they get to their CCD classes and youth programs,  so they can hear all about the faith, all about Jesus, all about the sacraments, but if we don't live the faith at home these efforts are just base. If they don't understand why their own parents are Catholic, we risk losing them to their peers and outside world. In sharing with them about our own faith journeys parents can help their children better understand their own faith. 

Whether you are a homeschooling family or not, there are programs available to Catholic families that are orthodox, clear, and completely user friendly for any family to follow as a supplements to their other school activities and studies. I hate to use the word supplement here since we are deemed the primary educators of our children by God Himself, but in our society this is just not the way we are conditioned, so supplemental activities for the family to live out their faith is how it works nowadays.  But that's ok, however we can bring home the Catholic Church to our families and children that's how we can evangelize without our domestic churches.

During the next few weeks, I'm going to ask Allison to help me bring resources for the families to use for their internal evangelization for the summer.  I am hoping you will find these resources helpful and fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment